Quiet Time

“It is quiet time. Find a book. Get a puzzle. Curl up and take a nap. Anything, anything but noise!” Every day I say it, and every day, they resist it, but they need the quiet time. They can’t just go and go and go. Neither can I. Sometimes everything has to slow down so we can take a deep breath.

In our house, this is what we do every day at 2 p.m. Or 3ish. Whenever the laundry is done, anyway. The little ones sleep, the big kids read, draw, or put together puzzles so they can rest their minds from the activities of the day. And we have been ACTIVE! Mostly school stuff, of course, but also doctor visits and playing hookey in the park on the weird, warm days we’ve been having. Without quiet time, we’d be tired and cranky and, most likely, sinful in attitude and behavior.

I use quiet time to write—sometimes here and sometimes other places. Lately, though, quiet times have been quieter for me than even that. I’ve been reading and playing games instead of doing constructive things like, um, Twitter parties. I guess I’ve needed a little bit of virtual quiet time, too.

click for full size

Time to stop and smell the roses.

For the past several weeks, we’ve been slowly finding our way out of the haze of newbaby. In case you hadn’t heard of it, newbaby is the condition into which an entire family must fall for at least four months after a new addition joins the family. It is a foggy, lost feeling that affects us all as we rebuild our relationships and routines to include another small person. It has been necessary, unfortunately, to make social media relationships—blogging, Facebook, Twitter, etc.—the last to be rebuilt. I’ve been squeezing online obligations in wherever possible, and feeling very guilty about neglecting some commitments I’ve made, but at this season, I’m afraid this is the best I can do.

I have excuses, y’all! I have more students to teach this year. I have more children to bathe. I’m about to start potty-training the two year old. I have to slay the laundry dragon every day (Monday-Thursday, at least). While the kids are becoming great helpers, I’m still the person in charge of pretty much everything but making the money. Jesse is still having headaches nearly every day, so everything that he would normally do is my job, too. There is more work to do than ever, but for some reason the days aren’t getting any longer to compensate.

What this blog needs—what I need—is some quiet time.

Get Along Home is not going anywhere, of course. Sometimes I just have to scratch that writing itch, and Jesse has some pretty neat things to say, too, if we can ever get him to speak up. I never want to leave my home on the web, and I’ll probably still have things to say every week or so. Don’t go away! But don’t expect much, either. I think life should be really, really full, so it’s a good and healthy thing that I have less time for the web right now.

I have no idea how long quiet time is going to last, but it is, I promise, temporary. I’m going to attempt to shift my schedule around after the holidays to make blogging more of a priority.

Join me on Facebook and Twitter for shorter bursts of…well, whatever it is that I do on here. It would also be a good idea to subscribe to my RSS feed so you don’t have to keep checking the homepage to see if I ever g0t around to saying something else.

And take a nap. You need more naps.

• Amie December 4, 2012, 5:17 pm

I never thought that I resist and feel guilty about quiet time (even when I need it) just like the kids do. I hope that your quiet time refreshes you and your family. Also, I will pray for your husband as soon as I click off.

• Cindy December 4, 2012, 6:01 pm

Thank you. Prayers are much appreciated.

• Laura December 4, 2012, 5:52 pm

Quality vs. Quantity :) I love everything you write, but know that you will be able to refresh us better when you are better refreshed yourself. Take a deep breath, we will be here when you are ready

• Cindy December 5, 2012, 4:40 pm

It’s comments like that that make me want to keep going. Thank you. :-)

• Peggy
    Twitter: mycraftingworld
    December 4, 2012, 6:58 pm

Take all the time you need…. we will be here waiting for a rejuvenated you to return.

• Dawn aka One Faithful Mom December 5, 2012, 2:09 pm

I’m right there with you, not the new baby part, although my 8 month old grandson is a very big part of my life!! On the resting part though, I am right there. I took a nap yesterday when I wanted to be decorating for Christmas. I told my 17 yr old daughter, “Sometimes a nap is the most important thing you can do.”
    My blog is quiet right now, even though my brain is fairly exploding with writing ideas. But I rest, knowing the day is coming for blogging more.
    I do love reading your blog, because we seem so much alike. Us Carolina girls. LOL!! (I live in the lower part of SC.) You enjoy your resting. I’ll be looking forward to your return.
    Merry Christmas!!

• Cindy December 5, 2012, 4:38 pm

Yeah, I keep waiting for posts from you in my feed, too. :-)

• Dawn December 6, 2012, 9:19 pm

oh the PRESSURE!! LOL!!

• Diane Hurst December 5, 2012, 3:39 pm

Napping– and quiet time– is a GOOD thing! I started taking naps every afternoon with my first baby, and kept it up through 8 more . . . now am still taking a 20 min nap every day. My youngest is 13. Rest is needed, and can be a great rejuvenator. New babies are wonderful, too. I got to hold my new grandchild yesterday, at one day old :)

• Cindy December 5, 2012, 4:37 pm

Congratulations! Love that new baby feeling. Especially when somebody else is the one getting up in the middle of the night for him. ;-) Grandbabies are wonderful.

• Rebecca
    December 5, 2012, 4:49 pm

Sweet Mommy I love you! I am proud of you for placing your family first! You take your time with your family. We will all be here….waiting to read your thoughts. You bless us and we will bless you!

• Cindy December 6, 2012, 8:40 am

You do bless me, Rebecca. More than you know, probably.

• Kelli
    Twitter: ladyofthebarn
    December 12, 2012, 8:14 am

Dearest lady, you will be missed during your time of rest. Enjoy it and come back to us rejuvenated and full of more words of blessings and truths. Along with the saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” it should also be, “A nap a day keeps the insanity away.”

Keeping your husband in prayers as well.

• Cindy December 12, 2012, 3:24 pm

You’re always so sweet, Kelli! Love that picture of you, too. Can’t wait to see you again! I think we might actually make it to TTD after all!