How Ya Feelin’, Voters?

by Cindy on November 7, 2012

I feel fine! Let’s talk social media and politics, and stuff, shall we? Skip this post if you don’t have the stomach for such things the day after.

When I woke up this morning, my (mostly conservative-leaning) Facebook and Twitter streams were absolutely choked with Bible verses about the sovereignty of God, along with the requisite sappy images of beaches and sunrises with Psalms of comfort inscribed upon them. I hadn’t checked the news yet, but I knew that could only mean one thing: Barack Obama is going to be golfer-in-chief for four more years. Nobody breaks out the “Sovereign God” binky after a conservative win. If social media is any indication, conservatives are trying manfully, if not terribly gracefully, to re-stiffen those upper lips after a long night of crying.

A few days ago, a dear friend of mine (again on Facebook), called for us all to pray for a conservative victory, to which I replied:

Capture

And so, this morning, my prayers have been answered. The Lord’s will has been done. It always is. (Almost seems like cheating, just praying for the Lord’s will to be done instead of getting specific with requests, doesn’t it? Anyhow..)

Though it won’t seem like it for quite some time, my friend’s prayer has been answered also. This is a positive thing for conservatism. Stay with me for a moment. I’m not crazy. I’m not even a conservative, strictly speaking (I’m way farther right than that), so I have little emotional need to soften this particular political defeat. I really do believe that another four years of Barack Obama is exactly what needed to happen to this country.

Dan Phillips, who is a great deal of fun to read and interact with, whether on Facebook, Twitter, or his blog, is one upset fellow right now. Yesterday, I had the honor of having him call me foolish and naïve for refusing to vote for either of the two presidential candidates.

Capture

Oh, yes, and “absurd”. Almost forgot that one.

Capture

Of course, I wasn’t doing anything “in the hopes that it won’t have any effect”, but we’ll let the mischaracterization of what I actually want slide for a while. I don’t mind it too much.

When somebody I respect, who teaches me new things daily, says things like that to me, it gives me pause. Dan is a lot smarter than I am, and he has been around the game board a few more times, as well (not that he’s old, or anything, just older).  So of course, I spent a lot of time thinking about that. I nearly burnt my meatloaf, it bothered me so much. I finally concluded that Dan needs to lay off the energy drinks for a while. He is way too quick with the assumptions. At least he called me “dear sister”. ;-)

Dan foolishly and naively believes that electing Mitt Romney would have saved this country from the economic and social nightmare that surely awaits us as a result of the last four ok, thirty years of governance. The problem with that, as I see it, is twofold.

First of all, Mitt Romney has never done a single thing to indicate that he even understands what this country’s problem is, let alone that he knows how to reverse it. (Hint: It has a lot less to do with taxes and petroleum than with first principles, of which Mitt Romney appears to have precious few.)

Secondly, our current president’s largest accomplishment in the past four years, Obamacare, is a time-bomb, set to go off only after his first term is complete. The healthcare bomb is loaded with all kinds of shrapnel, from taxes to rationing to religious persecution, and Obama and the Democrats delayed all of that on purpose, because Obama–and the rest of the democrats–wanted to get re-elected, and there are a lot of things in there that the American people are going to absolutely hate.

Romney was supposed by his supporters to be in favor of diffusing the bomb. I don’t believe he would have ever attempted to do more than repeal the portion of the bill that requires employers to buy insurance policies that include reproductive “care” of the kind that discourages reproduction. Even that seemed unlikely to me. I don’t have a crystal ball, of course, but I suspect that, had Mitt Romney won, we’d be looking at four years of centrist government with a thin veneer of fake conservatism on the surface.  And when the healthcare bomb goes off and takes down what’s left of our teetering economy with it, because we have a “ severely conservative” president, we now have a media that is quite happy to report that those cold-hearted conservatives have screwed up the economy again.

So the reason this is a victory for conservatives (unfortunately, not so much for liberty), can be summed up in one word:

accountability

As I said during the “foolish and naïve” conversation:

Capture

And so, here we are. Our country is in a pathetic and detestable state, both economically and socially, and it is going to get worse. I’m not happy about that, and I have, in the past, wanted desperately to believe that a vote for Republicans was an actual solution. I have no doubt that some of Romney’s policies could have temporarily eased the pain (which is going to be considerable), but it would have been, at best, a slowing of America’s decline. With Obama at the helm least honest observers will be under no illusions as to what caused it. (I say nothing of those who will die with socialism as their faith. They will have their “strong delusion” no matter what.)

Like my Facebook and Twitter friends, I’m rejoicing in the sovereignty of God this morning. I hope they can forgive me for not seeing politics in quite the same light that they do. After all, at the end of the day, our work is not to elect leaders. As I’ve said before, our leaders don’t change us, they reflect us. So our work is to spread the gospel, live the gospel, and love our neighbors into doing the same. That is where effective change comes from.

And now, you who still believe that a President Romney would have been a good thing for the country may let me have it in the comments. I’m totally prepared for that. Winking smile

Holly November 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

I totally agree with you Cindy! In addition to knowing who’s responsible, I think this outcome will also force Conservatives to wake up from their complacency. They(we) are now on alert as opposed to the false sense of security that a Romney win would have given.

Emily K November 7, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Perhaps, but there aren’t enough of us is sort of the point. Most people are suffering from the strong delusion.

Cindy November 8, 2012 at 5:28 am

I guess that’s to be expected. I’m amazed at the number of more mainstream conservatives finally saying–only after this very difficult loss do they have the guts to say it–that this is a direct result of having America’s children educated in public schools. When the Left raises your children, don’t be surprised when your children grow up to be leftists!

Marisa
Twitter: gracemothering
November 7, 2012 at 11:45 am

Nice thoughts! I’m in total agreement, as I also voted 3rd party. I did not see Romney as much different than Obama. I did not see him as especially pro-life or anti-anything that the GOP wanted him to be against. I did break out the beach scene “God is in control” meme when the vote to overturn Obamacare failed, and everyone was posting “RIP America”, “The Day America Died” – but God’s sovereignty is what keeps me sane every other normal day.

Dwija {House Unseen}
Twitter: HouseUnseen
November 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

I like this analysis, girl. Truly hope you’re right!

Dusty November 7, 2012 at 11:52 am

I totally agree! I voted third party as well. Great thoughts!

Rebecca
November 7, 2012 at 11:58 am

Cindy, I have to say, my heart is heavy. It’s not heavy truly because of the re-election of our current President. It is heavy because the truth of the American heart and soul is now truly visible. The truth about what has been lost in country is abundantly apparent and worse – I see that God has truly given us over to the sin of our hearts…. The beauty is that truly, I have a renewed focus. I don’t know what that looks like on the oustide yet. However….I do know what it looks like in my mind and my role as a Mother. I love you dearly….and am thankful that you can hear my words regardless of my poor writing! LOVE YOU!

Ashley C
Twitter: oliveonandon
November 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm

This sums up how I feel as well. I do feel as though we’ve been “handed over” so to speak to a group of people that boo the idea of God and cheer for abortion, etc. That four more years of this mindset solidifying in legislation and in the hearts of people who are so in love with our celebrity in chief will possibly irreversibly change this nation. It is sad. It is a little scary. But I agree with Cindy that if Romney had been elected, it would likely only slow the inevitable. The people in this country are different than they were. If the tides are changing, there is little we can do (on a government level) to stop it. Changing souls for Christ, one at a time, and raising our future generations in a godly way… It may never stop the bleeding for this country. But it is our job, and it is the only real hope.

Cheryl Pitt
Twitter: SomewhatCrunchy
November 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Rebecca, I thought the same thing this morning when the sting of the results first hit. I couldn’t help but wonder is this God’s will to bless our country…or is this what must first happen to bring us to our knees and closer to him.

Jen
Twitter: mamawrites
November 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I felt the same way. I was sick to my stomach and heavy in my heart. The Pastor was talking this past weekend at church on Sunday that the church has to stand up for what they believe in. I am in prayer today and everyday. Thank you Cindy for such a beautifully worded post!

Louanne November 7, 2012 at 3:27 pm

This is a wonderful post. And it’s true. I think that a lot of suffering is coming and as believers we won’t be protected. We need to be preparing ourselves and our children now by being in the Word now — so when the troubles come we are ready.

Tracie
Twitter: fromtracie
November 7, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I completely agree!!

Most of my family, however, are firmly in Dan’s camp on this one.

Jen @ One Moms World
Twitter: onemomsworld
November 7, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I think you know me by now.. or at least I hope you do… know I am a big conservative. I will not attack you for your comments but I can join in and agree 100% with this:

“our leaders don’t change us, they reflect us. So our work is to spread the gospel, live the gospel, and love our neighbors into doing the same. That is where effective change comes from.”

Heather November 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Yes! Could not agree more :)

Carey Jane Clark
Twitter: CareyJaneClark
November 7, 2012 at 12:34 pm

For what it’s worth, I’m Canadian, but naturally, U.S. politics means something to the rest of us too. When my son asked me, “If you were American, who would you vote for?” I had to admit to him that I didn’t think either candidate would have earned my vote. I can’t say I disagree with much of your analysis. However, I believe our right to vote–in whatever country–is sacred and that refusing to participate in the political process is contributing to a problem. When you vote, you sow a seed into the future and well-being of your country. I realize this may sound extreme, but if faith without works is dead, are your prayers really worth much if you don’t also take the action of voting?

The Husband November 7, 2012 at 1:02 pm

She _did_ vote.

Cindy November 7, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Yes, I did. There were a whole bunch of people down that ticket that I *did* feel good about voting for.

Ashley C
Twitter: oliveonandon
November 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I voted for Romney and I was praying that he would win last night. But I also prayed that God’s will be done. For me, the hardest part is dealing with the arrogance and chest thumping of the left. I am someone who “needs” to be right. I need to have the last word. I need to win the argument. But as a Christian, what I really need is to NOT be that way. I might have believed that a Romney win would slow the destruction of our country and economy. I might have believed that Obama would hang his head in shame and say “I guess you guys were right, and I was wrong” if he lost. Of course both of those beliefs are farfetched. But I wanted and NEEDED that to happen, in my mind. Part of me felt all along that the actual outcome was unavoidable. That it is time for the poor choices of our leaders to fully reveal themselves and for our country to suffer the consequences… But especially on a personal level, for me to gain the understanding and patience and personal growth that is required in enduring the gloating of an opponent. And to focus all the more on my very real influence in my own family. Giving myself more fully to my role of wife and mother and friend. I felt wounded last night and I got thirsty. Thirsty for God’s word. And it felt so good to be thirsty for the right thing. And then to access it readily and be quenched.
Sorry, I know I’m all over the place. :) You’ll forgive me, right?

Jenna November 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I must agree with you. After examining my own heart, I realize that I am nothing more than a strong headed person that feels the NEED to win and have the last word. God has showed me a lesson. His plans are not always what we have in mind. This is a great wake up call, but I keep praying that we won’t loose our freedom as Americans in this great nation it was founded to be!

Cheryl Pitt
Twitter: SomewhatCrunchy
November 7, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I totally agree, with all of it. When I first saw the results it was like a smack in the face. I was left wondering when we as a country will decide enough is enough. But then, I started feeling as you have said. Accountability. So here ya go, Obama. You’ve got 4 more years to show us what you’re really made of. Let’s see that positive change you promised. I couldn’t help but chuckle when I saw a FB group mention that Obama “inherited a bigger problem” this time and now he gets to “fix” it.

After my initial shock went away, I did feel relieved, for all the reasons you stated. Let him clean up his own mess, and if he can’t, well there will be no mistake then.

I voted for Romney, but I admit I wasn’t excited about it. I told my husband I felt like I was left to choose the lesser of two evils.

You, my friend, are so wise – even if you’re too humble to see and admit it. I so hope we meet IRL one day and I can hug your neck!

Amanda November 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm

You know, you DO have more than 2 choices when it comes to your vote! If you don’t feel like the democratic candidate, nor republican candidate are fit for the job than write in your person of choice! WE ALL NEED TO STOP CHOOSING THE LESSER OF THE 2 EVILS AND WRITE IN SOMEONE! (Granted you don’t like the democratic or republican candidates). Your right to vote is not limited to a choice between 2 parties (or people). It’s your right to vote for whomever you think should be president (granted they meet the legal qualifications). So don’t throw your vote away by “settling”. EXERCISE IT and put a name down that is better!

Pam November 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I enjoyed this read! Thanks Cindy!
I woke up bummed the most about the failing of Prop37 in CA. :(

Lynn November 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Nice, but just because God allows something, does not mean it is His will. He sometimes gives people what they want (even when it is not best). Sometimes we have to realize how wicked this world we live in really is, and God isn’t going to force himself on people when it is not their heart’s desire. He is a gentleman. He wants us to seek His face. But, I know my God and Savior is able to do anything. This time he chose to let the people have their way. Hope the consequences aren’t too costly for them :( May Jesus Christ be lifted up and praised no matter the political outcome(s).

Cindy November 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I think the phrase “giving them over” seems to imply that God has something to do with the negative turns people and nations take. This is certainly a negative turn. That’s a very deep theological discussion that I am still (and probably will forever be) hashing out with myself.

Kim November 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm

FREE WILL. Non-voters & 3rd party voters sealed the deal on this one, & although I believe no man can save this country & God will prevail, this was Christian inaction at it’s best. The Bible does not call us to lay down, but to stand up. Lay & observe, if you wish, but I will not. Romney was the best chance we had at economic recovery, promotion of religious freedom & biblical marriage, bi-partisan progress, & protection for Israel. With 93% of the African American vote (regardless of failing economy & devout commitment to non-biblical principles), Obama’s re-election just shows how little impact Christians are having in our society. Shame on us.

stg58/Animal Mother January 11, 2013 at 5:18 pm

In my opinion, Romney losing the election was not Christian inaction, but reaping what he had sown. His lack of principles and lack of being a Christian were fruits of his labor. I was a delegate to the natuonal convention from Texas, and I have to say I have rarely encountered a group of people with as little honor, honesty, integrity or basic principles as the people Romney surrounded himself with. The two weeks of the concention were characterized by disgusting behavior no Christian would ever want to be associated with. Lying, intimidation, physical assault and a blatant refusal to follow the rules were all witnessed by many. Romney did not deserve to be president.

Cindy January 12, 2013 at 9:29 am

That sounds about right.

stg58/Animal Mother January 12, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Short and sweet wrap up:

Christian action does not consist of voting for a non Christian. Christian action is doing the right thing, regardless of popularity or peer pressure.

“We ought to obey God instead of men.” –The Apostle Peter to the Sanhedrin Acts 4

Cindy January 12, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Fortunately, I’ve never been very popular, so it’s not something I worry about holding on to. ;-)

Lisa Joy November 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I really have to agree with you! I was not excited to see Obama win, but I would not have been much more excited to see Romney win, either. There are far greater problems in this country than any election can “fix”. The real problems are not economic, political or otherwise. The real problems are heart issues. The greatest problem is how far we have turned from God and from His ways and His will. Like you said, things have reached a point where it is going to get much worse before it gets better, regardless of the election results. The best we can do is, like you said, to love and serve the Lord and train up our children in the way they should go. :)

Jenna November 7, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Well said!! I agree ;)

Natalie November 7, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Biggest problem is the division in this country. Work together not against each other

Richetta
Twitter: coachrichetta
November 14, 2012 at 1:14 am

Amen

Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents
Twitter: stacymakescents
November 8, 2012 at 8:02 am

Thank you for writing this.

christina November 8, 2012 at 8:40 am

LOL Sassy. I like it. ;)

Kelly M.
Twitter: kellymantoan
November 8, 2012 at 10:27 am

Excellent. This is the election post I would’ve written if I cared to write about politics, which I don’t, because I’m tired of trying to explain my third party views to a two party world. Thanks for being more articulate than I ever could be.

KB November 8, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Well said.

Mary November 10, 2012 at 9:11 am

Cindy, you have somewhat talked me off the proverbial ledge, but my pain is still fresh. I have not posted any verses (that I recall) but I am instead angry and lashing out. Which, I know in my heart isn’t the answer, but it makes my head feel better.

I can agree with most of your post, but I maintain there will be NO accountability for the Democrats. The media is an arm of the Democratic party and will not hold them responsible for anything. Republicans could refuse to vote on absolutely everything, making the Democrats 100% liable, and the media would still blame Republicans. The ignorant masses will believe it too.

I have concluded that it isn’t a marxist, narcissist leader we have to worry about, it is the nation of fools that votes for him/her. Thank God, that God is God and that someday I won’t have to live on this earth anymore. I made the mistake of believing a mere man was the solution, and I forgot that God is the only one who can save us. That’s the last time (hopefully) that I fall in to that trap!

Cindy November 10, 2012 at 9:25 am

On my optimistic days, I believe social media and alternative media might just be powerful enough to get around the MSM’s stonewalling. On my bad days, though, I am just as convinced of the impenetrable stupidity of the masses as you are. I know this, though: Republicans have been counting on conservatives to be so scared of socialism that they’d vote for their own brand of liberalism for a long time. The wolf in sheep’s clothing routine doesn’t seem to be working for them anymore. They’ll either run candidates who really believe in Liberty, or some other party will. Eventually. In the meantime, God is our fortress. :-)

Lisa Hensley November 10, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I totally agree with you. And maybe another four years of Christians pretending that we live in a Christian nation would have been bad for us too? I had a few thoughts on this that I even shared on Facebook because I got really tired of people quoting Bible prophecy and proclaiming President Obama as the Antichrist. Let’s just concentrate on what we’re supposed to be doing now.

republican mother November 11, 2012 at 9:12 am

It’s interesting to see Mr. Sovereignty of God Dan Phillips freak out like that over the non issue of who is elected president. Yeah, ya’ll heard me right. For the following reasons:

1. The central banks have all the money and thus all the power. One fellow (can’t remember his name right now) was in a cabinet meeting during the Clinton administration and they were discussing some financial policy. Two of the guys in there, Rubin and/or Reich starting freaking, “well what will Goldman think of this???” The man replied, (he was a Nobel winning economist I recall) what do we care what Goldman thinks? You could hear a pin drop and everyone in the room stared at him like he was an alien. You see, Goldman and the megabanks that make up the central banking cartel run this country just like Red Mike Hylan, Mayor of NYC 90 years ago said they did.
2. Mitt Romney’s life is a very poor witness when you compare it to the Word of God. He used his authority and influence as Governor of Massachusetts to allow communist medicine, $50 abortions, and Student Gay Pride Days in the public schools. Why would God be pleased with support of such a man. If he truly repented, then that should be on the record, but all we have is a series of lies and obfuscations. Being Mormon doesn’t help-Jesus and Satan were never brothers, and the entire Book of Mormon is an abomination to the Lord.
3. The banking-corporate-government complex can rightly be described as the Whore of Babylon. It is working to become a one-world government as prophesied by our Holy Bible. That’s so totally cool! But do you think something like that is going to be stopped by a central banking teleprompter reader aka President of the USA? If he could, they’d just shoot him. Oh wait, they’ve done that before.
All that being said, I think Dan’s comments to you were silly, asinine, and reveal what he really knows about the world. I would expect a man so studied in the Word to be a little bit more knowledgeable on what is really going down around us. The moral decay was designed that way by the same people I’ve mentions and its all documented very clearly.

What I don’t get is people who go on and on about how bad thing are morally, but never bother to track down how it got that way. The Ford Foundation footed the bills for the early homosexual movement, for instance. The Ford Foundation is funded by the megabanks and the super big corporations. But no, let’s just whine about liberals, that’s been working so well so far.

Cindy November 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I admit to being pretty shocked by his behavior. He’s never exactly humble in his opinions, but he’s been more than a little insulting for the last few weeks. Politics brings out the worst in a lot of people. If that’s his worst, then I guess he’s still ok with me. At least he didn’t call me puddin’ head. ;-)

Richetta
Twitter: coachrichetta
November 14, 2012 at 1:25 am

When I woke up I had to see a number of sick and depressing comments on FB… I support the President and thats not a issue for me… If He won great if he didn’t God Governs me regardless…. I have so many “Christian” fb friends and I was just disturbed by the whole thing…this is what I posted and almost contemplated deactivating FB till the storm calmed… But I love Social Media so that was a no.
My post read
POINTS TO PONDER: To all those who are posting hateful messages about PRESIDENT Obama or Governor Romney and you have the following on your ABOUT-Religious Views: Christian. Then consider what you claim you believe in: 1 John 4:20 – If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. Now if you don’t proclaim the gospel of Christ then carry on it is expected! SMH! Hate beget’s Hate.
………………………………………….
Bottom line…. the troubles of this world is not centered around one man, one party or political arena…we are in a spiritual warfare… Division is among us and God is not pleases…. We must all come together and raise some God fearing children that will stand boldly for what is God and Right… My four year old came to me with one of her scripture coloring sheets and said “It says do what is Good and right in the sight of God” I said yes Baby thats right…