IndoctriNation: Public Schools and the Decline of Christianity in America

Take a quick trip back with me, if you will, to a post I wrote a year or so ago entitled Sending Your Children to Public Schools. I said:

People are social creatures. We default to the mainstream, because that’s where it seems safest. After all, if this isn’t the best way, there wouldn’t be so many people doing it, right? Very few people wake up every day thinking “How can I conform today?” Most of us just wake up and do the next thing: what we need to do, what’s expected of us, what seems possible. This is what everyone does, so we continue to do it. Typically, people won’t stop living the way they see everyone else living until something jars them out of complacency.

Well, here you go, Christians. Here’s something that should jar you out of your complacency.

Indoctrination

If anyone can watch IndoctriNation and not immediately start making an escape plan to rescue his children from public schools…well, I still won’t be judging anybody. (Seriously. If you think I’m judging anybody, read this.)

I am, however, prepared to endure the inevitable accusations of being judgmental for the sake of saying what must be said. I must—we all must–warn others about the danger of public “education.” Schools are numbing the souls of children in America, and turning out watered-down, barely-believing, closet Christians, rather than brave, full-throated, intellectually equipped Christian adults. This cultural powerlessness is by design, and Christian parents seem to have no idea it’s happening.

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

The truth is, I’m a little ashamed of the post from which I quote. In my defense, I did make my opinion of public schools fairly clear. How can Christians not see what public education has done to the soul of this country? In my own generation, especially, its effects should be undeniable. But as I re-read it this week, I saw that my words had the sickening slipperiness of that same false tolerance that we are all taught from the first day we enter the doors of government schools: My truth for me. Your truth for you.

This documentary has convinced me that I really need to be sounding alarms, not putting people blissfully to sleep, as my too-gently worded post likely did.

There’s a lot of sweet talk amongst homeschooling families about how we need to “reach out” to mainstream families and not be “militant” about homeschooling. I am, for the most part, in agreement. There’s no need to brow-beat people about the choices they make, even if they are bad ones. However, Christians’ reasons for homeschooling are good ones, and they’re not built on some special, individual calling from God. They’re built solidly on God’s word, which tells us all how to raise our children.

I already knew nearly everything contained in this movie. We chose to raise our children ourselves because we know that public schools are a terrible place for them. I’ve been aware of the history of government education, all of the arguments against instutional schooling, and all of the Biblical wisdom concerning training our children. And yet, to keep the peace, I’ve been content to say “You go ahead and feed your kids to those wolves, and I’ll stay quiet so you can feel good about doing that. See how peaceful I am? Not militant at all. I’ll even pay taxes to help you do it!”

IndoctriNation makes a historical, anecdotal, and Biblical case against public education, and does it so powerfully that I can’t help but wake up from that peaceful live-and-let-live slumber at least long enough to shout out a warning to anyone who will listen: You have to get your kids out of there!

Salt and Light, Unsavory and Under a Bushel

As we watch his big yellow school bus full of homeschooled kids sputter around the nation—his own kids, I hasten to add, not some random children snatched from their yards or something–Colin Gunn explains the history behind compulsory education. He skillfully illustrates how it all began, what it was intended to accomplish, and finally where we have ended up as a nation because of it: broken down and beyond repair.

Bus Outta Hell

The movie has some famous (at least amongst homeschoolers) names, such as Samuel Blumenfeld, John Taylor Gatto, and Israel Wayne, as any documentary worth its salt would. But it was the interviewees with less recognizable names that spoke most powerfully to me. Mike Metarko, Sarah LeVerdiere, and Robert Zeigler are three teachers who found out through experience, and by the conviction of the Holy Spirit, that not only are Christian children in public schools unable to be salt and light, but that teachers and administrators place themselves under the same anti-Christian authority as they go about their daily duties.

Resignation

Christian teacher goes rogue. Nature of threat: spreads Gospel

In my own state, a Christian teacher who is truly being salt and light stands a very good chance of losing her job, while accomplishing very little. It is only salt that has lost its savor that is tolerable to government schools.

Indoctrinate.

In our post-modern culture, where words like “should” and “ought” aren’t considered fit for polite company, except to speak of seatbelts and bicycle helmets, “indoctrinate” is a sinister-sounding word. It is too insistent on some final truth. Too forceful. Too sure of itself. But every child is both learning some doctrine and being taught according to it, whether it is the doctrine of the Bible, or the doctrine of humanism.

Education is indoctrination. The question isn’t if your child is being indoctrinated as he learns, but into what?

• Melissa Creech October 11, 2012, 6:44 am

I 100% agree, & public schools sicken me. We are going to homeschool our 3, 2, and one year olds, but we also have a 15 year old and a 16 year old (in grades 10 & 11) in public school (my husband’s children from a previous marriage). We feel pretty stuck in just keeping the older boys in public school until they graduate since the oldest only has one year left. I feel like it’s too late for them, but I don’t know ????? I wish I could turn back the clock a few years and have a do-over.

• Cindy October 11, 2012, 7:15 am

It might be too late to homeschool them, but it is never to late to give them the gospel. :-)

• Jen ~ Gricefully Homeschooling
      Twitter: gricefullyHSing
      October 11, 2012, 11:01 pm

Personally, I was in your situation over 1 year ago. I said the same thing, “it’s just too late… I wish…” My biggest mistake was believing this. IT IS NOT TOO LATE! My daughter is “gone”… gone from my home, gone from the church, and gone from her faith! She is 18 years old with a very “naturalist” view on life… this is after giving her life to Our Lord, just a few years before. If I could go back even a year… I would have pulled my senior from public school. I pray your children make it through… where mine didn’t!

Monday I have a post reviewing the book and sharing my store going live on my blog. Hope you’ll check it out.

• Nikki October 11, 2012, 6:57 am

Amen! It hurts my heart to see some of my family and friends put their children into public school. I don’t understand how they can do that, as they didn’t go to public schools themselves. I do understand, though, how parents who went to public schools send their children there: they figure they made it out okay, and so will their children. They don’t realize they were indoctrinated themselves.

• Cindy October 11, 2012, 7:16 am

I suppose if they didn’t go to public schools themselves, they haven’t really witnessed the tyranny over the soul that those schools exert.

• Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents
    Twitter: stacymakescents
    October 11, 2012, 8:05 am

Cindy, I love everything you post – and this is not an exception. :-)
    I have never even heard of this movie, but I’d love to see it. It’s not watch instant on Netflix. Did you see it on television?

• Cindy October 11, 2012, 8:52 am

I asked if anybody had it for me to borrow and my friend bought it for me on the condition that I review it. I suspect she thought I was getting a little boring, and this would take care of that. LOL

• Mary Jo October 11, 2012, 2:08 pm

LOL! You? Boring? Not a chance! I just knew your review would be an excellent one– and you did not disappoint!

THANK YOU!!!

For those interested, you can purchase a copy from Vision Forum or at Amazon.com. It is a great movie to have and circulate.

• Erin October 11, 2012, 9:28 am

My husband is a public school teacher and we decided to homeschool after our oldest completed 2nd grade. We live in a rural district and he has a rather high profile as a coach for a couple of sports so there was no way to make the change under the radar. What always amazes me is that people are so shocked (sometimes angered!) that a teacher would homeschool his children yet not one parent has ever asked me, “What does he know that I don’t?”

While at her bridge club my Mom quietly listened to the conversation as it turned into a harsh condemnation of those stupid and annoying homeschoolers (she is the queen of non-confrontation) until someone turned to her and said, “Your daughter homeschools doesn’t she?” She wanted to crawl under the table, but somehow managed to point out how well her grandchildren were doing academically. What bothers me the most is how every one of them assumed that MY children belonged first to the state, not to my husband and me and that they needed to be in the “real world” (not kidding, an actual comment!) of the classroom and not out and about during the day! In the education world it is a very common idea, my husband has been accused of taking money away from the district…a lot of money since we are expecting #6 ;-). He is sickened by administrators who see children as dollar signs. It really can be that bad.

We have Indoctrination and have loaned it out to several people. We are getting more confident and convicted each year, yet still walk a fine line as the reality is my husband is employed by the district so I need to practice discretion as I talk to people in the community.

• Cindy October 11, 2012, 10:00 am

Can I admit that your first seven words made me nervous? I was so sure I was about to get a stern talking-to! Not that I’m not fully prepared to defend my points, but…well, you know. I’m very nice, deep down inside, and don’t want to argue. ;-)

• Erin October 12, 2012, 9:19 pm

Don’t care much for arguing myself. What I usually do is force my poor husband to listen to me on my soapbox. I get to release the pent up lecture that I’ve been refining all day while the choir listens so I really don’t have to argue at all. ;-)

• heatherdaygilbert October 11, 2012, 11:07 am

Yes, I think that right now the indoctrination of public schools is coming full-circle within the church (the evolutionary, find-your-own-truth “ideals”). No one wants to say anything is SIN anymore.

BUT…

I think we get nowhere by condemning fellow Christians who truly feel that their children can stand up to the lies of the system and be that salt/light. I think it depends on the child. Some are better able to take stands/stand out and be different than others. I doubt that any of my children have this ability, but my husband certainly did. The key was that his parents FOUGHT back with the truth every step of the way. And my hubby has never been a follower.

So I guess we need to give some grace here. I’ve seen many public-schooled kids who turn out just fine in their Christianity. I’ve seen plenty of Christian or home-schooled kids who did not. I was almost one of them, to be honest, and I even attended Christian college. We’re all individually responsible for the choices we make.

But because I know my kids, and because I know how deeply entrenched and protected the lies are in the public school system, and more importantly, because I know the EDUCATION is often sub-standard, I won’t be sending my kids to public schools.

So I’m with you on the whole, but I think we can’t condemn brothers/sisters in Christ for decisions they probably prayed about and possibly agonized over.

• Cindy October 11, 2012, 11:15 am

I haven’t condemned anybody, in case you didn’t notice. As for the idea that some kids can “handle” it, I’d like to see that logic applied to what we allow our children to watch on television, whether we let them hang out with people we know to be bad influences, which babysitters we’ll leave them with, etc. Putting children under that kind of authority and hoping they can “handle” it seems like a rather risky proposition. Even if they can, you’re propping up that tyrannical system by sending them your children, who translate for them into more dollars to use to tear down the kingdom of Christ. I don’t condemn anybody, but I’m not going to be silent about the cliff they’re clearly edging up to, either. Sorry I keep editing this comment. Keep getting interrupted.

• heatherdaygilbert October 11, 2012, 11:24 am

Okay, possibly “condemn” is too strong a word. But your tone in sentences such as “If anyone can watch IndoctriNation and not immediately start making an escape plan to rescue his children from public schools…well, I still won’t be judging anybody,” and “You have to get your kids out of there!” seems a bit derogatory. IF my kids were in public school and I knew I’d prayed about it, I would be very offended.

I also think that blanket statements like “Schools are numbing the souls of children in America, and turning out watered-down, barely-believing, closet Christians, rather than brave, full-throated, intellectually equipped Christian adults” are not entirely accurate. As I said, I know several public-schooled kids who turned out as very strong Christians.

I think the danger is saying, “This is the only way” to Christians, who have Christian liberty and can make informed choices. I realize that the evidence from this movie allows them to be better-informed. But I don’t think you’re leaving room for parents who are determined to fight the influence of the ungodliness in the public school system.

Issues like this can rip the body of Christ apart, because we all feel strongly about WHY we’re educating our children WHERE we’re educating them. I’m just saying, please give grace to those who feel led by God to put their kids in the public school system. Might be like shipping them off to Babylon, but possibly we have a few Daniels and Shadrech/Meshach/Abednegos out there, too.

• Cindy October 11, 2012, 11:37 am

“If anyone can watch IndoctriNation and not immediately start making an escape plan to rescue his children from public schools…well, I still won’t be judging anybody,” and “You have to get your kids out of there!” seems a bit derogatory.”

“Hey, you’re hurtling right toward a cliff, my friend!”
    “Stop saying derogatory things to me!”

And you must have skipped my very next sentence: However, I’m prepared to endure the inevitable accusations of being judgmental for the sake of saying what must be said. I must—we all must–warn others about the danger of public “education”.

You think I’m judging? Fine. I’m not, but I knew somebody who wanted to maintain the Kumbayah feeling would accuse me of it.

• heatherdaygilbert October 11, 2012, 11:50 am

I just think we need to be very careful what things we take stands on and make sure they are Biblically denounced as sin. Things like abortion and homosexuality are clearly sin, Biblically. Things like public education and video games/TV are not clearly defined as sin in the Bible.

Here’s what I’ve seen–homeschooled kids whose parents bad-mouth public schools. These kids take those hateful words back to their public-schooled friends in church and use them to explain why “we don’t go to public school.” This does NOT build up the body of Christ, plain and simple.

Also, don’t we, as homeschoolers, hope for some measure of respect and understanding from parents of public-schooled kids? Why would we expect that from them if we’re not willing to give it to them?

I think that we have to be WINSOME with our beliefs. I understand there is a time and place to speak out against evil. I don’t think Christian parents who’ve chosen to send their kids to public school are oblivious to the danger. Again, I think we need to give them grace.

But I understand this is something you feel strongly about, just like I feel strongly about which guy I’m voting for this election. My FB friends all know who I’m voting for, and some of the reasons why. But I’m not saying I’m right and they’re wrong. If they want to know more about WHY I’m voting that way, they know they can ask. Same thing w/homeschooling. I’m doing it, and I figure the results will speak louder than anything else I can say.

• Jill McSheehy October 11, 2012, 2:41 pm

Heather, thank you. I think your point about this kind of position being harmful to the body of Christ is absolutely how I feel. My son is in kindergarten, under a Christian teacher I requested. I’m certainly praying about his future and homeschooling isn’t out if the question, but I don’t feel led there yet and I certainly agree that this us not a clear cut biblical issue. As Paul says, “it is by his own master he stands or falls” and “each should be firmly convinced in his own mind.” I’m watching my son carefully, but I feel strongly that our task as Christians is to make disciples, and my prayer -and what I teach Drew – is for him to be a light for the hopeless in his school. Those kids need Christ and I hope he and we as a family may be able to share Christ with children and their families that we might not have had the opportunity to otherwise.

• Cindy October 11, 2012, 3:04 pm

I certainly hope you don’t think I’m condemning you for that. I don’t intend to be harsh on people who are forced to use public schools, or who don’t see things my way. I DO intend to be harsh toward public schools, though. What is more harmful to the body of Christ? Saying what is true and ticking some Christians off, or insisting that true things mustn’t be said, because somebody might be offended?

• Jill McSheehy October 11, 2012, 4:38 pm

I definitely don’t think being quiet at the risk of offending someone is the answer. We agree there. And I think it is good that we as Christians call a spade a spade when it comes to issues in our government-run schools. (my mom is a retired public school teacher and she definitely has her concerns about the schools now.) I believe the Bible is clear that we are to be unified as the body if Christ, and we have to be very careful when we take stands on issues that aren’t clearly spelled out in the Bible. I know making those of us who send our children to public school (by choice or not) feel condemned and feel like second-class Christians was not you’re intent. In fact I love the grace in which you have handled other posts (thinking of the one on family size for instance). I just wanted to echo Heather’s concerns because even if you can’t understand, there are those if us who are praying and do not feel led to homeschool. Perhaps we will be led there at some point but that is between each family and God. That’s not to say that you should not state the facts as you have then. We need that. I just wish the tone would be less condemning the families are trying to seek His’s will and have felt led to a different path.

• Erin October 12, 2012, 2:00 pm

“…do not feel led …have felt led to a different path…” But what does God actually tell us in his revealed word? To pray and wait for a special revelation from God that may, in fact, counter what He has already told us in His revealed word smacks of new age spiritualism. Deuteronomy 6 has made it crystal clear who has the God ordained responsibility to train children and it is not agents of the state.

Even the best Christian teachers have their hands tied by the law. No public school teacher can teach how all of creation reveals the glory of God, that the laws of math and physics are constant only because our God is constant and a God of order, or that homosexuality is a sin because God said it is and He is the Creator so He makes the rules, period. No Christian teacher can shield your child’s eyes from scantily clad girls (pretty hard to follow the covenant David made with his eyes when everywhere a teenager’s eye rests are girls revealing what God intended to be covered) when he is in middle school nor can a teacher cover your son’s ears from lewd and filthy comments in the hallways. Before people say, “that’s the real world, they need to get used to it.” Keep in mind that 1) these are children in training, not adults and 2) what God tells us in the book of Proverbs about the company we are to keep. Why put them in a situation that forces them to live counter to what God commands? I have witnessed more children from Christian homes compromise or leave the faith entirely than I have seen hold onto it when placed in a secular humanist institution for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 13 years.

We need to rely on the revealed word of God, not our own feelings or having “a peace” about our decisions. As Christians, we are told to hold each other accountable “as iron sharpens iron” and it seems that this was Cindy’s purpose with this post.

• William October 13, 2012, 1:58 pm

“One of my favorite lines of the movie is where Scott Brown states that if, as a Christian parent, he sent his children to a Muslim school others in his congregation would be outraged, likewise a Hindu school. But if he sends them to a pagan school? Well, if you feel led that that is the best decision for you, then it is fine.”

You will not receive many responses to the statement above because it would be very difficult to give an honest answer to the point raised.

It must be stated that Jehovah has always told Israel to not mingle and mix with other nations because they would follow after their gods! As the Israel from above, do we not have the same mandates? and if so what does that look like in regards to education?

“8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 13 years.”

Indeed, it is not readily feasible for everyone, however it can be but that would take a monumental shift in our ideology.

• kelli- AdventurezInChildRearing
    October 11, 2012, 5:29 pm

I sorta took your “tone” to mean – excitedly – that you don’t see how anyone could watch this movie (cause it’s so good and full of truth) and still be ok with public schools for their children. You stated your opinions – but I didn’t take it that you meant anyone who doesn’t homeschool must not be praying about it – just that in your opinion this movie will surely move them & convince them that they need to have their children in a different atmosphere. (I could go on – but I know you weren’t saying that anyone who has kids in public school must not be praying for them) But, I do homeschool – and I’ve seen the movie – it does get you fired up – it puts some facts out there that would be hard/impossible to ignore. I took your tone to be passionate about protecting the kids from the influences of the world & the enemy – and excitement about this profound movie. You tell it straight – you never hold any punches about what you really think – which is why so many of us enjoy reading you – but, there are people who will be offended because they are Christians who use public school. If they don’t agree with your opinion – maybe they should consider watching the movie you are so fired up about??? especially, if they are Christians who have learned to respect your opinion – if they watch it and still disagree – they could come back and offer further insight. . . . . just an idea. (not being smart – totally serious) We are on the same team – team Jesus. They may see that what you are fired up about – is that the movie shows the things that are clearly laid out in the Bible as sin – are being shoved down the throats of our children in public school . God bless.

• Cindy October 11, 2012, 8:23 pm

Thank you, Kelli. If I had any capacity for defending my own motives, I probably would have said exactly what you did. :-)

• Eva October 11, 2012, 7:35 pm

What a highly offensive blog post! I am a Christian public school teacher and I’ve seen NO REASON for parents and children to run away screaming from the public school system. I’ve seen students come from home school to public school with low level math and science skills. They are generally unprepared for the rigor of college if they have not been to public school by high school. You can try to shield your children from every harmful thing and then watch as they cannot handle the world when they grow older. The only harm I would see in public school is the increasing disrespect from students for their elders. The curriculum, the rigor, and the teachers are awesome! Jesus lived within the world, he did not hide from it. My bible does not teach me to stay home and hide but to be a light to the world!

• Cindy October 11, 2012, 8:24 pm

I’m very sorry that you were offended. I wish there were some way to word the fact of secularism in our culture choking the life out of Christian thought that didn’t offend people.

• Eva October 12, 2012, 6:00 am

Your very apology was judgmental, Cindy. If you truly were sharing your heart without judgement, you wouldn’t get so many people who are telling you the exact opposite. There is secularism in our culture, true. But going to public school does not choke the life out of Christian thought. I went to public school as a Christian and never had a problem in school. I was and have always been a strong Christian. The other students in my school noticed that I was a “good girl” and never once did I have to preach to them. My actions were a witness to others in a very dark world. Were there students who partied and smoked pot, yes! Were there kids in my church youth group who partied and smoked pot, YES! We cannot bury our heads in the sand as Christians and do the very thing that God commanded us to do: share the gospel.

• Jen ~ Gricefully Homeschooling
      Twitter: gricefullyHSing
      October 11, 2012, 11:22 pm

Your “light to the world” argument is not accurate and this movie debunks it. I suggest you search “Voddie Baucham ‘Whoever Controls the Schools Controls the World’.” If you truly are a “Christan” {definition: one who follows Jesus and who emulates His teachings}… then you should be teaching your students just as Jesus did. Can you share with them about Creation? About Bible History? Can you teach them about the Tower of Babel? What about telling them that the world is not in fact millions of years old but only about 6,000-10,000 years old? And about Noah’s world-wide flood? How fast would you loose your job if you did this? But on the flip side, what if someone asks you about Buddhism? Or Hinduism? You are allowed to share those religious beliefs but not about Christianity. That’s the point! The government didn’t make public schools neutral… they just made them anti-Christian. I pray that God removes the scales from your eyes. No one is trying to judge you or offend you… we are merely sharing The Truth! His Truth! It’s His History… please don’t take it away.

• Eva October 12, 2012, 5:53 am

I teach math, Jen. I’m not a bible teacher. The government’s job is NOT to teach faith. There are Jews, Muslims, Mormons, Catholics, Christians,Apostolics, etc. in public schools. I would not want the Mormon faith taught to my child simply because they thought that was the correct way like we think Christianity is the correct way. We as parents are to teach our children our faith but it is NOT the government’s job! I am a strong believer in the separation of church and state. If you are truly a Christian, Jen, then you would not force your beliefs on others. God is a Gentleman. He does not force us to live right, he lets us choose. I do not believe it is our job as Christians to legislate sin nor force others to believe the way we do.
        If you think that the public schools are anti-Christian, then you don’t know much about them but what you hear through propaganda like this movie. Religion is not mentioned but in social studies class where it belongs. I am surrounded by Christian teachers in my math hallway. We can love on kids, share our mission trip experiences and pray with students with no consequence. Why? Because we are not forcing religion down our students throats but living like Christ like you mentioned. They will know us by our actions, not by our words. Living like Christ has nothing to do with teaching about Noah and everything to do with loving and caring about students. To insinuate that we should hide ourselves at home is to go against what the bible teaches.

• Cindy October 12, 2012, 6:27 am

You realize you just made my case for me, right?

” Religion is not mentioned but in social studies class where it belongs.” Bingo. Jesus belongs in social studies? No! He belongs at the center of the Universe! You can keep your Christianity that believes we can compartmentalize Jesus away and keep him all to ourselves, so as not to offend anybody. THAT is the watered-down Christianity of which I was speaking. When I stand at the throne of Judgment (and there will be one), I doubt God will be asking me how my kids did in that math that you think had nothing to do with the One who created it. He’ll be asking me how I glorified Him in all things, including math.

• Eva October 12, 2012, 5:26 pm

You sure did twist my words around, didn’t you? After this, I’m done. I just told you that I was a light to my students at my public school and you accused me of compartmentalizing Jesus? That’s my very case against you! You hide your head in the sand and intend to share Jesus with only your family. I’ve shared my faith with my students, I’ve been to the Philippines, Guatemala, and other mission trips. Learning RELIGION belongs in Social Studies class. Faith is taught AT HOME!!!!!!!!! My son will have the best of both worlds. He will be able to socialize and learn with the rigor only public school provides AND he will personally know Jesus because I will have taught him about God. I am not a fan of homeschool but I WOULD NEVER condemn parents or use scripture against them because they keep their child at home. You are judging others! It’s nice to have your opinion but you can’t force your opinion on others just because you think it’s right for your family. You can keep your Christianity that would condemn and judge others for how they teach their children!!!!

• Rebecca
    October 11, 2012, 9:06 pm

I think your review of this movie is a very good one. I am currently reading the book…and it brings in more truth about the history of public schools, their truth foundation and the unfortunate way teachers and parents are unaware of the underlying issues.

I hate that many are offended by truth. Many are and were offended by the truth of Jesus Christ.

I agree that we are to be the salt in the world. I believe Dr. Voddie Baucham has made a great statment about this – statement in the Bible is an Indicative, not an Imperative….. big difference. Also, it doesn’t say we should put our children in the world to be the light. Remember, Christ did not begin his ministry until he was 30. Yes, that was a cultural age, but I also believe it sheds light on the fact that until then, maturity has not been met, life has not been lived and the truth may not have been grasped by the heart.

I do believe all parents should make the decisions for their homes and family with as much information as possible. Unfortunately, we all just do what everyone else is doing….some researching and making decisions, others not…just following.

We are called sheep in the Bible for a reason…research sheep, it’s interesting how they just follow one another along.

Cindy, Great job. I think you did a GREAT job providing a good review of this video…my hat is off to you for stepping out and sharing this information.
    I’ll be reviewing the book soon…that should be interesting.

• Frolicking Flamingo October 11, 2012, 9:38 pm

Christians are called to encourage one another to do good and are to admonish one another when we’re not doing so well. What Cindy has done here is admonish her fellow Christians to take a serious look at the origins, purposes, and results of public school education. Christians like to say they are being “condemned” by other Christians when they are actually being admonished — the two things are completely different. They might feel the same if you’re on the receiving end, but that doesn’t mean you’ve been condemned or judged. You are being exhorted and encouraged to prayerfully consider if having your children in public school is God’s best for them. That’s all.

• Jen ~ Gricefully Homeschooling
      Twitter: gricefullyHSing
      October 11, 2012, 11:39 pm

Amen! Well said! I think feeling “condemned” hurts… but it is just conviction… and no one wants to feel that. So, we blame the person trying to help us to be a better Christian by sharing with us, possible words from our Father, where there may need to be some change. If I had gotten offended every time someone said something to me, that convicted me… I would not be the person I am today. I would be stuck in the mud… sidetracked on my walk with Jesus. So thankful to those who have bold enough to stand up for The Truth… and share that with me!

• William October 13, 2012, 2:04 pm

Amen!

Faithful are the wounds of a friend…..

• Heather October 12, 2012, 4:11 pm

I think that it is important to remember that childhood is a time of teaching and training. I just can’t see a child of 7 or 8 standing up for his belief because that belief is still being formed! Childhood is such a small part of life, but it is the most important part. We just started homeschooling this past January and it has been a very difficult transition, but it is so important because I just can’t instill the values that we would like him to see in the few hours after school while simultaneously trying to tell him why something he learned that day isn’t true. I always think of Luke 6:40 (NLT)
    “Students are not greater than their teacher. But the student who is fully trained will become like the teacher.”

Do I know my son’s teacher and everything they believe? As one public school teacher already commented “We as parents are to teach our children our faith but it is NOT the government’s job!” That is true, it is my job and I just don’t see how I can do that job on a “part-time” basis.

• Sara Sweetman October 12, 2012, 8:12 pm

Thank you for bringing this documentary to our attention, Cindy. We are new to homeschooling, but our decision to keep our kids out of public school was actually pretty simple. Public education (particularly in our home state of CA) does not support our Christian values. Parenting is tough enough, and allowing our kids to be indoctrinated with today’s twisted social theories for 30+ hours a week only makes our job at home tougher.

• Cheryl L Stansberry
    Twitter: inspiredhome6
    October 13, 2012, 11:53 am

Thank you for your post and for stirring the waters. This subject is one I feel both passionate and convicted about and it definatly makes repeated rounds on my blog. I am appalled at the lukewarmness in the church today and it saddens me to see professing Christians scream “Don’t judge me,” in their effort to live comfortably in their pagan bubble. Friendship with the world is enmity with God. Why they can’t seem to grasp that I don’t know. Any institition that is thoroughly anti-God is not a place for Christian children to be. There is no such thing as neutrality and apparently too many Christians don’t seem to understand this concept. Christian children need Christian education, not indoctrination in humanist training camps. I extend grace to those who feel they have no other options (illness, single parent families, etc –though I believe in these instances there are still ways to opt out of government schools) but to those who have read these things we have to say and still insist that government schools are a valid choice for Christians, it both angers and grieves me and I will not cease to rail against government schools and its humanistic God hating tentacles for as long as there is breath in me.

• Amie October 13, 2012, 5:29 pm

I have not seen this movie, but the reason we never considered public schools for our children is because of how I had seen our school districts minimize Christianity while raising up other kinds of diversity. (As though it is unacceptable to be a middle class white Christian because you have no “culture” then) In the public preschool program I worked in prior to having children, we we not allowed to say Merry Christmas, and St. Patrick’s Day and Valentine’s Day had to be replaced with blah titles like Green Day and Friend Day. However, a teacher was allowed to tell Muslim students Happy Eid, and we could spend a whole day learning about Chinese New Year. I didn’t want my children growing up thinking that their faith was something to be put in boxes labelled “home” and “church.” Finally, I didn’t want them to be pressured as I had been to simply give the “right” answer while keeping their faith to themselves so that I wouldn’t be embarrassed or called out in school or penalized on grades (sorry, at 13 and as a new believer, I wasn’t ready to be a missionary yet). As to academic rigor, my child who has to be tested by state law tests well above state averages, so I think she’ll do fine wherever God calls her.

• Haelie (@Decide2day) October 15, 2012, 11:30 pm

Challenging post about a tough but necessary book. Thanks, Cindy, for the stand you are making.

• Alex January 19, 2013, 11:07 pm

Thank you for writing this- and your other articles that I drink in like water. I love the meaty content and that you dont shy away from the contentious topics- which is not to say I always agree (I usually do), but I respect a Christian sister speaking up. Its an all too rare occurrence.
    There is much confusion within the homeschooling community (and I think it extends to Christians in general) on what we are to be vocal about and what we are to let go in grace, in liberty, etc. I still struggle with this in many (most? ) areas myself.
    Yes, we run the risk of speaking out of a prideful heart when we speak out on matters important to us. We also run the risk of not loving our neighbor for the sake of our need to people please or keep from rocking the boat when we refrain.
    You cant live your life in fear of sin, but I think we should err on the side of love and truth. Those things always rock the boat.
    May God give us wisdom, discernment, and help us maintain a humble heart that speaks in love and truth and to remain well balanced.
    Thanks again.

• Cindy January 20, 2013, 11:11 am

This, my friend, is what I needed to hear this morning. I don’t always get it right, of course. The spirit in which things are done isn’t always the spirit in which they’ll be taken, and it is so, so hard to find the right of things sometimes. Some things, though, are far too important to waste soothing words on.