28 Days to Hope for Your Home: A Tale of Two Books

by Cindy on February 1, 2012

Buy the bookOnce upon a time, there was a slob. She wasn’t happy being a slob, but that was just the way things were, so she tried to live with it. Somehow, the slob came into possession of a book (possibly surreptitiously deposited on her nightstand by her husband) which purported to be the answer to her intractable problem. The slob opened the book. She started to read.

Just ten pages from the beginning, she started to cry. After twenty pages she threw the book across the room, never to open it again, because nothing had ever made her feel so hopeless. That book had been written in the most condescending way possible, by someone who had obviously never struggled with slovenliness, and it outlined the most extravagantly nit-picky method of learning to keep house that one could imagine. It was basically: Clean up your house, clear your clutter, and then voila! keep it that way, you idiot. “Why couldn’t you figure that out without a book?”, it seemed to taunt.

This is not that book.

This book, 28 Days to Hope for Your Home, is actually written for People Like Us (slobs) by Someone Like Us.

That book-throwing Slob, as I’m sure you guessed, was your humble blogger, and I eventually figured out how to keep a house relatively clean all by myself, no thanks to the Mean Girl who wrote the hateful book that broke my spirit. For me, deslobifying (as Dana White, aka Nony the Slob likes to call it) was a years-long, painful process, and I still struggle with the details of daily living when life gets out of hand.

If I’d picked up 28 Days to Hope for Your Home ten years ago, I could have been spared many tears, missteps, and emergency cleanings when the in-laws were on their way over. Alas, ten years ago, no such book existed. The good news is that it does exist now, and the rest of you slobs (I use the term with love) can benefit from it greatly.

When I opened up Dana’s book for the first time, I thought I was just looking over a friend’s book so I could help her promote it. I had no idea I was actually going to enjoy myself, and even get a little bit excited about my own deslobification–which is not really complete yet, and may never be. It’s a personality problem I’ve got, as it turns out.

Dana gently, and with great humor, guides us down the path of neatness slowly, one useful habit at a time. What she teaches in these 51 pages is simple and doable. Even better, it works!

I can vouch for her method because it echoes what I eventually figured out for myself: Little habits, over time, become big lifestyle changes! In just 28 days this book really can help you change the way you think about your mess home. It doesn’t do this by beating you about the head with your failures, but with easy steps that you really can just jump into.

I tell you all of this, of course, because I want you to buy this book. For the whole month of February, 28 Days to Hope for Your Home is on sale for half price. Spend this $4 tonight (or whenever), commit to doing precisely what it says, and by the end of the month, you’re going to start to feel a glimmer of hope that your home could be a haven, instead of an embarrassment.

I don’t promise miracles, and neither does Dana. You’re not gonna be June Cleaver come March 1st just because you read this book. What you will be, is cleaner. Click here to buy the book. You’ll be glad you did the next time someone rings the doorbell unexpectedly.

Disclosure: All the links in this post are affiliate links, so if you buy, you benefit this blog as well, at no extra cost to yourself.

Renee
Twitter: GrowingStam
February 2, 2012 at 8:27 am

I have been watching her youtube videos and LOVE how she works :-) And I can so relate to her and her struggles :-)

Cindy February 2, 2012 at 8:53 am

If you love her webisodes, you’ll love her book, too! I’m kinda crazy about her. She’s just honest and down-to-earth and funny.

Renee
Twitter: GrowingStam
February 2, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Thank I will look into buying the book :-) I agree with the honest down to earth funny :-)

Erin February 2, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Nice to know I’m not the only slob out there. My biggest difficulty is being married to the world’s most neat and organized man. While we were dating, I was alone in his classroom (he is a teacher)for a short time and peeked in the drawers of his desk. I almost fainted then thought, “If he ever sees my desk he will break up with me!”

I must get a copy of this book!

Tara @ Feels Like Home
Twitter: TaraZiegmont
February 2, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Your review made me think of my weight loss efforts. I’ve never been able to succeed at that, either.

I’m taking Dana’s baby steps, and I’m going to try to clean up this house of mine. I’m on a roll with healthier eating, so hopefully, my momentum will help me with this, too. Thanks for a great review, Cindy!

Real Life Sarah
Twitter: reallifesarah
February 3, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I need to meet this lady! In all seriousness, do you think this stuff in her book will work for a working outside the home mom? I feel so hopeless, because most of the stuff I read is for moms who are AT home (and awake) more than 4 hours a day. I need to be able to train my family too, because often times it doesn’t matter what I do, they are here more than I am.

Cindy February 3, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Oh, absolutely! The great thing about this book is that it just covers the stuff *everybody* has to do. I love this gal. Have you checked out her webisodes? So funny! The blog is aslobcomesclean.com

SAHMmy Says February 7, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I love her blog – did not know she had a book out; thanks!

Gidget
Twitter: HSingUnscripted
February 8, 2012 at 12:20 am

I found Nony about a year (or more) ago – oddly enough before I ever got into the homeschool blogging world :) It was so funny to basically start finding all of these people interlinked together….. now if I can just figure out how to get all the people I love into one room :)

Thanks for the info about the book – definitely going to check it out. What I really need though is Nony here – in my house – to make me laugh while I do it…. :)

Cindy February 8, 2012 at 8:03 am

She’s so funny, isn’t she? Her little book is as funny as the rest of the stuff she does. I’d buy it even if I wasn’t a slob.